
I recently read Delirium by Lauren Oliver. I had read a lot of not just good, but great reviews for this book. Since it was the only one from the SuBC monthly pick I could readily get my hands on, I downloaded the EPUB from the library.
I wasn't sure what to think at first. I had issues with the whole Love as a sickness premis of the book. I thought that Lena, the main character lacked the drive of the ya heroine that I enjoy to read about. I have never been a follow the rest of the pack kind of girl. Don't get me wrong, I am not a bad ass or a rebel. However I don't like to do something just because thats what is expected of me. If everyone was to wear green, I would probably wear purple. So at the begining of the story, I just couldn't understand where Lena was coming from.
That changed after she met Alex. Then I started to root for Lena. I like love at first site stories. I believe that there is a connection between people and that you meet them and just know that they are important in your life story. This is exactly what happend with them. However living in a world that views Love as a sickness or a disease, doesn't look good for an aspiring young couple.
I also really liked the friendship between Hanna and Lena. Hanna was fun, and she was a great friend for the normal rule abiding Lena.
Lauren Oliver is an amazing writer, she spins a world and people that you can see right into. I look forward to reading more of her work.
I won't do any spoilers on here, so I will just leave it that it was a fantastic YA Dystopian novel. A must read. I rated it 5 stars on good reads.
No comments:
Post a Comment