Saturday, 13 August 2011

Pickles and Beans


It is that time of year when I live, breathe and well, Eat the garden. Our garden is way bigger than it needs to be. Everytime I mention that to DH, he says, oh no we need all of that planted...and more. Yesturday I cleaned and made 15 1-L jars of pickles. Both sweet slice and dill. I love me some pickles but not soo much when I am making them. I still need to do about another 8 jars of dill next week (once more cukes come on). The night before I cleaned and prepped about 60 cups of green and yellow beans for freezing. Than using my trusty foodsaver, I sucked the life out of them and froze them. This took hours. When DH came in from cleaning up a blown down tree and asked how I was doing, I complained of beanitis.
We have also cleaned and froze about 60 cups of raspberries, 30 cups of peas and I did some raspberry jam. The 18 cubic foot upright freezer is full, to capacity. You have to be very careful opening it. Its to the point where we actually priced a small 5 cubic foot apt freezer yesturday.
I really do enjoy gardening. But at this stage of the game I am growing weary from it. And its not even close to being done. I see alot of zucchini, tomatoes and squash in my future... Well, I better get back at her, the carrots are calling my name.

FYI- Beanitis: Serious cramping that affects your neck (from looking down all night) and your hands and wrists from snapping all the beans in half or thirds. If you don't think of sitting down to do this ahead of time, it can also affect legs/feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment