Saturday, 31 December 2011

Top 10 Series I read in 2011

So to make this easier on myself I will list series, standalones, Non-Fic books that I have loved this year.
Here is the best 10 series I either started or read all of this year. Once again they are in no particular order.

Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1)
Rachel Hawkins-  A great YA series, think Sabrina the Teenage Witch meets Harry Potter and you have a good idea of how this is going to go. Very funny with great characters.
Anna and the French Kiss 
Stephanie Perkins- It all started with Anna and the French Kiss, than we met Lola and the Boy Next door. Pure awesomeness. Two great YA books about first love and growing up.

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)
George RR Martin- A Game of Thrones.I think this was the first really and truly fantasy book I have ever read. I loved it. This book had everything from dragons, knights, direwolves, to betrayals, love and murder. I have started the second book in the series and love it just as much
Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1)
JR Ward- The Black Dagger Brotherhood. I have read the first 5 of 9 in this series. If you like PNR or UF than you have to try this book. The brothers will make you swoon. Seriously. Vampire haters beware.
The Bronze Horseman (Tatiana and Alexander, #1)
Paullina Simons- The Bronze Horseman, Tatiana and Alexander and The Summer Garden (Which I haven't read yet). Wow. These books are an emotional rollercoaster ride. Simons is lyrical with her writting. The first two books take place in WWII Russia but its a love story at the heart of it, she doesn't go overboard with the war and details. This was the first I had read about Russia and their struggles with WWII. It gave a lot of insight in to a horrible time. At the same time, the story was beautiful. If you love Jamie and Claire, check this out.
The Hunger Games (The Hunger G...Catching Fire (The Hunger Game...Mockingjay (The Hunger Games,...
Suzanne Collins- The Hunger Games- WOW. If you haven't read these yet, well what are you waiting for. Don't read what its about and hmm and haw over whether you will enjoy it. Just pick it up and read. You will thank me for it. Seriously. I read these in just a couple of days because I couldn't put them down. And don't delay because the first movie is due out in March and you really want to get this book in your head before you get the hype and glitz of Hollywood thrown at you.

Divergent (Divergent, #1)
Veronica Roth- Divergent. This is another great YA. I really think this was a great year for YA authors. Great story and great characters. I wish I was dauntless. The next book is out in 2012 at some point.

Fall of Giants (Kindle Edition)
Ken Follett- Fall of Giants. In all honesty, I picked this up by mistake, I was trying to get Pillars of the Earth. I do not regret reading this book though. Another War book, this one WWI. It has a million main characters (okay maybe its more like 8-10) and they all interwine just before, throughout and just after WWI, mostly in the UK. It was seamless, and didn't feel like there were too many characters. A great (long) read for history lovers.

Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson...Blood Bound (Mercedes Thompson...
Patricia Briggs- Mercedes Thompson Series. I have only read the first two, but so far so good. Another PNR/UF book. Mercedes is an awesome shifter character. She has strengths and weaknesses and can't decide on a guy. What's not to love!?

Delirium (Delirium, #1)
Lauren Oliver- The first of the Delirium Trilogy is of course Delirium. A fantastic YA book that takes place in the future, when love is forbidden and treated like a illness. Fantastic!


No comments:

Post a Comment