
Here it goes. I have been putting off this review for almost two weeks because this book wrecked me. Seriously. This is such a powerful book. I know I reviewed Looking for Alaska a couple of weeks ago and thought it was awesome. But I am so glad I read it before reading AFiOS, because this book was just amazing.
Basically the book is about a teenage girl, Hazel Grace (which is now my new fav name). She has cancer, has had it for a few years and is living well beyond what they thought she would. But this isn't a cancer novel.
Her mom convinces her to go to support group and wants her to be a normal teenager. You know one of those normal teenagers that hauls a oxygen tank around with her every where she goes. So she goes and thats when her life changes. She meets Augustus Waters...
They seem to immediately become friends. It's like once within each others orbits, they couldn't escape, no matter how hard they tried. They bond over Hazel Grace's fav book and his fav video game world. Augustus wants to make Hazel Graces' world a better place and answer her wishes.
I don't like spoilers so I won't give a whole lot more detail but they have a wild adventure.
This was me at the end of the book. I know I am beautiful. I drove home like this while listening to the book. In hindsight, I really don't remember the drive itself. I probably wasn't safe to be on the road.
This book is poetic, beautifully written. I want to live in the words of this book. There are so many quotes that just ate at my soul.
I also loved the relationships between everyone in this book, between family members, friends, etc. John Green made you feel like these people were real. These conversations were real. These parents dealing with children with cancer were real.
Now, I listened to the audio version of this book and the way that Augustus said Hazel Grace will forever be in my mind. I am glad I listened to the audio for that reason alone. However within minutes of starting the book, I knew I needed the Hard Cover copy. Especially since I heard that John Green had signed the entire first run of the book. Some 250 000 copies of the book. So I emailed my sister and said she had to haul ass and buy me this book and buy herself a box of kleenex and read it, then save the book for me, for the next time I am down. Well she didn't haul ass, she took her time, forgot her wallet, etc. Than she discovered that this book was hard to find, or at least the signed copy was. So, she phoned 25 stores in the GTA and finally found one that held a copy for her.
Her email back to me after reading the book was " Why do you make me read these horribly awesome books. I am giving it to mom to read next."
So overall, if you haven't read this book. Do it, do it now.
No comments:
Post a Comment