Tuesday, 28 February 2012

The Baby Sitters Club

                              
 As I sit here munching on licorice, I am thinking back to how it all began. My introduction and subsequent obsession with the Baby Sitters Club that is. Maybe I should back up and explain myself. My name is Kristie (Not to be confused with Kristy Thomas, but more on that later). I am closing in on 30 years old and am married and have a wonderful puppy named Remy. As a child I was a voracious reader. Seriously. I loved reading and one of my absolute favourite things to read was The Baby-Sitters Club. I couldn't wait for the day that I turned 11 and could officially start babysitting on my own. I mean I was already doing some babysitting for my sisters afterschool and stuff but I wanted to do more and have a club just like the BSC!

Okay, Okay, does any of that sound kind of familiar, almost like going back in time and reading a BSC book? I will (try) and stop writing like that now (but upon thinking about it, thats kind of how I write and talk anyways.) I don't remember what got me into these books in the first place, or which one I read first. They are just there in my memory. These books were so cool to little kid me. I mean the main character had the same name as I did! What are the odds of that (even if she does spell it wrong).  I was also a bit of a tomboy, I loved sports (Especially baseball) and being outside. I didn't care how I looked and I lived for my baseball hats and my dog (Sam!). We also looked  a like, we both had brown hair, brown (well mine are hazel, but same diff) eyes and the shortest girls in our class. I also felt a great connection with Kristy's best friend Mary Anne. I also had a tendency to be shy and quiet (until people got to know me). The other character I felt a great connection with was Dawn, mainly for wanting to save the environment. I wasn't into vegetarinism even at that young age.
The other club members were Claudia, who was way too cool for me. I mean she was super hip and funky and great at art and stuff. Stacey was also super cool, being from New York City and having diabetes. I was so not a cool kid, so while I liked these characters, I really couldn't relate to them.
There was also the Junior officers, Mallory and Jessi. Mallory was a likable fuzzy haired girl who loved to write and draw. She was also the oldest of 8 kids. Crazy! Jessi was pretty cool too, she was a dancer and was very fun to read about.
The reason I started to think about all of this stuff is that my online book club decided to do a Babysitters Club re-read. That's right, we are breaking out the Super Specials and whatever else we can find and than going to discuss the series in general in a couple of weeks.  How cool is that?!! I am so frigging excited, I immediately went out to my local library and ended up buying 8 books for $2! The only Super Special they had was Sea City, Here we Come!, I got two mysteries, Logans book, Dawns book and a couple of numbered books. I have already read two of them and am still loving me some BSC!

http://www.scholastic.ca/titles/thebabysittersclub/theClub.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment