Sunday, 18 March 2012

Movie Review: Breaking Dawn pt 1



Okay so back on the botched girls weekend this was the second movie that I have been waiting to see. I was so freaking excited when I happend to see it at the convienance store that rents movies. I was going to finally see this movie come hell or high water.
Let me just set the record straight, I love the Twilight Series. I am a huge fan of the books, and forced everyone in my presence to read them before the movie came out. Much like Hunger Games, I assumed that this series was going to be massive and that everyone should like the books for themselves and not for the movies they were based on. I ended up having to buy a second copy of some of the books, because I lent them out soo often they were starting to show their wear. (or at least that's what I told myself).
I went into the first movie with an open mind, I knew that they didn't have a great budget, they were working with fairly unknown people. I knew in my heart that it wouldn't be as great as it should be, but as long as they stuck to the story, everything would be okay.I got tickets with a bunch of girls from work to the sneak peek Thursday evening show that the movie theatre near work was offering. We sat in a line up for 3 hours prior to the movie starting. We played Twilight trivia in the theatre with the rest of the ladies (and a few gentlemen). I ended up seeing the movie in theatre 3 times and preordering it when it came out on DVD. I than proceeded to watch the DVD at least 40 times over the next 2 months.
I saw the next two movies in theatre as well, but only once each and not the sneak peek. I did preorder these DVD's. I was unable to see Breaking Dawn pt 1 in theatre, because, even though it had already been out for a month and we showed up to the theatre 1 hr early, the show was sold out. I don't live near a movie theatre anymore (it's two and a half hours one way from my house), so this was my one and only opportunity to see the movie.  I was devastated.
Things were crazy in February (what with getting ready for Remy and everything) that I didn't preorder the DVD as usual. So I was left to rent it.
When J called to say he was coming home the night I had rented the movies, the conversation went something like this:
J: Hey, I am on my way home
K: But you were supposed to be away tonight!?!?
J: yeah the guys decided not to do a night patrol, so there is no sense me staying out here, I am going to be home in three hours.
K: But, it's girls weekend.
J: oh well
K: But what about Breaking Dawn pt 1?!?!!?
J: I will watch it with you when I get home.
K: Fine, but no whining and complaining, we can stop for question breaks if you need them.
J: Whatever, bye.

I have been trying to get J to watch these movies, but he resists. He has watched bits and pieces, but Vampires and Werewolves just aren't his thing (he's weird). So when he got home, I had just poured myself a shirley temple and was already in my PJ's and ready to watch the movie.
First off- I wish they had done the open scene like the book. I really found that lacking in this movie and I was looking forward to some Bella awkwardness in the big schmancy armoured vehicle. So I was sad when that didn't happen.
The wedding was beautiful, as expected, but was kind of ruined for me, by J constantly asking "What is she? What is he?" and " Why is he so awkward looking?!?! I can't stand to look at him. (making reference to Edward)".
I am glad that the movie wasn't so much from Jacob's prespective as the book was, as a Jacob hater, I wasn't looking forward to being in his whiney head too much.
I wished they played up the Alice can't see anything and her bonding with Jacob more in the movie, as that was kind of big in the book.
Once again, I will reiterate that a) I don't like spoilers, so I will try and not give any here, and b) I only got to see the movie once, and didn't do a re-read. So I think I will end this review here. I really enjoyed the movie, and wish that I had a copy of it to watch again, because much like reading the books, I find them so much better the more you watch/read them. I am also really looking forward to pt 2, because I can not wait to see how it all concludes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment