Monday, 12 March 2012

Movie Review- Footloose!

I need to start this by stating clearly that I am a huge
 Seriously. If the original movie is on tv, everything is dropped, the world stops turning and I watch the movie. I have the soundtrack to the original movie on my Ipod, and have had it for years. I regularly dance and sing along with the songs from this movie.


So when I heard they were remaking the movie, I was apprehensive to say the least. I mean, why remake a classic?!!?! Why?Why? Why?!?!?

I did however immediately pick up the new soundtrack. I listened to it over and over and over. I really do like the new soundtrack. The music is great, the remakes of songs are great. Have I mentioned I love the orginal soundtrack?!?
I didn't get to see this in the theatre (stupid movie theatre less island). I haven't been able to go out and purchase the movie since it came out on DVD. But when J said he was going to be away this weekend, I started planning in my mind. I knew the local convienance store had Breaking Dawn pt1, and was planning on renting it, and when I went into pick it up on Saturday they also had one copy of Footlose for rent!!!!!

I went home and did all the necessities of a Saturday afternoon (fed and walked Remy, put some laundry on, did some dusting) and put in the movie (see previous post for more information on why I put it on sooo early).

I don't know how I feel about the beginning. I want to say I like that change to the story of including that first scene. But I really don't know. I am on the fence, one minute I am glad they added it, the next I wish they had just stayed with the original script.

I had heard alot of grumbling about the cast of the remake. So I went in not sure how I would feel about them. In the end (well actually from the beginning) I loved them. They weren't exact replicas of the original cast, they each brought their own style to the parts. Ren as played by Kenny Wormald was fantastic. He was believable as Ren. He was, I don't want to say tortured, but he came across as experience, independent and really perfect for the part.


Julianne Hough as Ariel was great too. She really nailed the part of the preacher's daughter.  I also I just need to say I loved her hair. LOVED IT!
Rusty and Willard also lived up to my expectations, as played by Ziah Colon, and Miles Teller. Ziah Colon was so believeable as Rusty and yet she had her own umph in the part.
Uncy Wes was also great. I also can't get over the two little cousins, is it just me or were they dead on for the originals?!

I think the biggest factor for winning me over was all of the scenes that they tried to duplicate. Willard learning to dance montage. The car wash, Ariel getting ready in her room. Ren walking up to pick up Ariel at the door. sigh. Awesome. seriously awesome.
The other big thing for me was Ren's cousins singing and dancing and Willard trying to learn to dance scene. That was so me and my friends when we were kids watching this movie and listening to the soundtrack. It felt like I was sucked back in time.
There were a few changes I wasn't impressed with though... Killing off Ren's Mom was a big mistake in my eyes. I mean, she was his person to lean on in the first movie. I just don't get why they chose to do that. I also wasn't a fan of the school bus race. I can't even begin to describe my disappointment in this scene. I mean the tractor chicken scene was a major plot device in the movie. I was irritated and knew something was up when Ren was supposed to show up at the race track. I thought, uh oh, they aren't messing with this scene are they?!?? Than he got on the tractor, and I sighed with relief...until he stopped the tractor 20 feet away and showed the busses. Was there even a point of having the tractor in that scene?!?! I mean other to get my hopes up?!?!

Overall I really did enjoy the movie and would watch it again, but probably if given the choice between watching the original or the remake, I would choose the original, hands down, everytime.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't seen the remake yet, but I absolutely LOVE the original!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The orginal will always be better, but I did really enjoy the remake. You should watch it!

    ReplyDelete