Wednesday, 19 October 2011

EB White and his good friend Charlotte

The Story of Charlotte's Web: E.B. White's Eccentric Life in Nature and the Birth of an American Classic by  


I won this book from a gr giveaway. I don't know why it took me so long to start it, because once I cracked the book open, I was immediately sucked in. It is the story of EB White's Life, and looks specifically at his time spent researching and writing Charlotte's Web.
First of all, I must say, that in Gr. 3 I got in a bit of trouble at school because of Mr. White and Charlotte's Web. I got in trouble for reading ahead of the class (on my own time, and didn't give away any spoilers). Much like now with the Biography, I was hooked by Charlotte's tale, and I really wanted to know what word she would spell next.
So reading the life of Charlotte's creator was fascinating to me, in all honesty, I didn't know anything about EB White prior to this novel. Seeing what made him an author and have such a love of animals and nature was fantastic, as I spent most of my childhood naming the spiders in my house and watching birds fly around and build nests. I can appreciate how he felt for these creatures and understand that once you start watching spiders, you don't have time to do much else.
I would recommend this book to anyone who loves Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, The Trumpeter Swan or for anyone who just loves animals.

ETA: I have now started to reread Charlotte's Web. This book just inspired me so much. I haven't read Charlotte's Web in over 20 years. It should be interesting to see how I like it now.
Charlotte's Web

No comments:

Post a Comment