
Paperback, 243 pages
Published May 9th 2006 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published March 31st 2003)
ISBN 0375829830 (ISBN13: 9780375829833)
Genre:YA
New or Re-read: NEW
New or Re-read: NEW
Series: Nope.
Where I heard about it: I have seen it around GR
Why I read it: After having read Jellicoe Road, I fell in love with Melina Marchettas writing style. Also I needed a book for WBC 13 that was set in Australia
Setting/Time Frame: Australia
Spoilers: Probably, but nothing major.
3.5 Stars
You may remember my gushing about a certain book by Melina Marchetta this fall. Well after reading it, I knew at some point in the near future I would have to come up with an excuse to read her other books. WBC 13 gave me just the excuse I needed with the category- Read a book that takes place in Australia. YAY!!
I ended up listening to the audio version of this book, since her books can be kind of hard to get ahold of.
Basically its the story of a young girl with a lot going on. She attends a boys school that has opened its doors to girl students...barely. So there isn't many girls her age and she doesn't get much choice as to who her friends are. Everyone can probably remember what being a teenage girl is like and can understand how troubling that situation would be for any girl.
Throw into the mix that her mom is suffering from acute depression. The mother who was always there for her, is suddenly only there in physical form, not to emotionally like Francesca finds herself needing.
This is such a fantastic coming of age story. I don't think there are many teenage girls or women who remember being a teenage girl who can't relate with something that Francesca is going through.
I think one of the best parts of reading this book, or the random thing that happened while listening to it was this. During a school trip the girls really start to bond with one another during a heated Spike vs Angel vs Riley debate in their bunk room. As I listened to this, I had FB up in the background and a blog I follow posted a new link to a post:
Where I heard about it: I have seen it around GR
Why I read it: After having read Jellicoe Road, I fell in love with Melina Marchettas writing style. Also I needed a book for WBC 13 that was set in Australia
Setting/Time Frame: Australia
Spoilers: Probably, but nothing major.
3.5 Stars
You may remember my gushing about a certain book by Melina Marchetta this fall. Well after reading it, I knew at some point in the near future I would have to come up with an excuse to read her other books. WBC 13 gave me just the excuse I needed with the category- Read a book that takes place in Australia. YAY!!
I ended up listening to the audio version of this book, since her books can be kind of hard to get ahold of.
Basically its the story of a young girl with a lot going on. She attends a boys school that has opened its doors to girl students...barely. So there isn't many girls her age and she doesn't get much choice as to who her friends are. Everyone can probably remember what being a teenage girl is like and can understand how troubling that situation would be for any girl.
Throw into the mix that her mom is suffering from acute depression. The mother who was always there for her, is suddenly only there in physical form, not to emotionally like Francesca finds herself needing.
This is such a fantastic coming of age story. I don't think there are many teenage girls or women who remember being a teenage girl who can't relate with something that Francesca is going through.
I think one of the best parts of reading this book, or the random thing that happened while listening to it was this. During a school trip the girls really start to bond with one another during a heated Spike vs Angel vs Riley debate in their bunk room. As I listened to this, I had FB up in the background and a blog I follow posted a new link to a post:
A Highly Scientific Analysis of Angel vs. Riley vs. Spike

Many of you may already realise that I am a Buffy fan from way back. So this scheer coincidence did not go unnoticed and I immediately followed the link to the article.
It was quite interesting and I highly recommend it as well as the book Saving Francesca.
No comments:
Post a Comment