Saturday, 25 August 2012

The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon

The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon

Mass Market Paperback, 264 pages, Audio 6 hrs 20 mins
Published August 30th 2005 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1999)
ISBN 1416524290
Audio Read by: Anne Heche 
Genre: Thriller/suspense
New or Re-Read:  New
Series: No
Where I heard about it: I didn't, I randomly found it. 
Why I read it: It fit a category of SuBC, a book out of my normal genre.
Setting/Time frame: New Hampshire/Appalachian Trail, June 1998
Spoilers?  Not really anything that you don't get from the book description.
 **3 STARS!**
This was my second Stephen King book, the first was It, and I read it last fall.
I am not a fan of horror or anything scary. I am especially not a fan of anything that messes with your mind. So when I needed to read something from out of my normal genre, I knew I had to look at something by Stephen King.

This was the only book of his I could get at the time, and as an avid outdoor enthusiast, and having recently read another book about the Appalachian Trail, I thought this would fit the bill nicely.

Trisha McFarland was a very likeable 9 year old character who ran into some hard times.
While I didn't find the book "scary", the whole "mind games" that the "thing" was playing with Trisha really got to me. It unnerved me right from the get go. I would have done better with a big scary monster than a mind game.

I did enjoy the overall story, I really enjoyed the whole baseball aspect of the story. I really liked the connection between Trisha and her walkman.
The ending seemed kind of sudden but it felt like a good ending for this tale.

I gave it three stars because while it wasn't something that I normally read, I can't say it wasn't a good book. It was well written (obviously), and quick to the point of the story. The character was amazing and you were really rooting for her right down to the bottom of the ninth.

It wasn't a super long book, that I take to be a staple of Stephen King, but that was okay in this circumstance. I really did enjoy the story, but I can guarantee you I will not be reading it again. ::shivers::

I do have a couple of others of his ready to go, like 11/22/63 and The Stand, so I think I may have to bump them up the TBR as I think I am officially a SK fan. Even if he does scare the living snot out of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment