Tuesday, 21 August 2012

Weird walk

You know those times where you wish you had a camera with you, because things just got weird and no one, NO ONE is going to believe this just happened. However if you had a camera with you, it wouldn't have happened in the first place.
That was our walk the other night. Remy and I decided to walk down our road instead of through the trails on the property since we hadn't done that lately. It was a nice night for a walk, but a bit of a breeze.
Maybe its because I was listening to Mary Poppins and was living in a fantastical world in my head. Maybe not, but weird stuff kept happening. If it was just one thing or another, you wouldn't think much of it, but because three weird things happened in a matter of 40 mins, it just made you wonder. It wasn't so much that they were weird as they were uncommon.

While walking down the road I noticed a couple of red squirrels chasing each other across the road.  I was just glad they were so far away and figured by the time we got there they would be gone. So I didn't have to worry about Remy wanting to lay chase on them. Well, they kept at it, one chasing the other across the road, than the other would turn and chase the first one. It was pretty amusing for my simple mind. Once we got closer they were still doing it. Of course now Remy noticed them and wanted in on the action. So I told her to leave it and kept her at heel. We saw them start a fist fight (no seriously), where they were attacking each other, and one actually threw the other off of a split rail fence and than jumped on top of it ala WWF wrestling. It was pretty funny, but also very disturbing.
Well don't the little monsters run right in front of us (think about a foot from Remy's face) and back again. Than they start chattering at us, because we are in their way. Remy will have none of this and wants them gone, so I kept holding her at bay and tried to keep walking. Remember, I really only can use one arm so fighting a 60lb lab puppy that wants to chase the squirrels in the middle of the road is not an easy task.
So that's how we found ourselves with a squirrel on either side of us, in the middle of the road. They started chasing each other in circles around us.
I kept trying to get Remy to leave and walk away, and finally managed, but it wasn't easy.
So we kept going on our walk. Around the corner from there I spied a fox in a field, not far off the road. It sat down and appeared to be watching us. I didn't think much of it and was just happy Remy didn't see him, and want to go visit. So we kept on walking. The road was pretty busy that night, so I made Remy sit a couple of times to wait for the cars to go by when we couldnt' walk in the ditch. We turned around and headed back after awhile and that's when I spotted the fox again. He had followed us out on the road and must have been trailing behind us for a few minutes. He wasn't too close, but it seemed odd anyways. Of course Remy noticed the fox at this point and wanted to go run over to it.
I kept her at heel...again and told her to leave it. I figured the fox would run off into the woods. Nope, he turned around as well and walked ahead of us on the road until we got to the corner. He kept looking back, but never seemed to be startled by the whiney dog wanting to chase him or by the mean mom (being me) yelling "LEAVE IT!!" and "No Remy!" constantly. At the corner he crossed the road and wandered into the bush without a backwards glance. It was just so freaking bizarre right?!!?

So now, I thought, if we can just make it home in one piece that would be fantastic. We do live in the country, so there is lots of wildlife around, but normally they avoid us. The squirrels had moved their hijinxs elsewhere and we had the road to ourselves.
All was right in the world for a few minutes until I noticed a brood, yes that's what it is called, of Pheasants on the road ahead of us.
Once again, I was aware of them before Remy was, but there was at least 15 birds, mostly young of the year with a few adult females all over the freaking road.
Well K, that's not a big deal, you say.
::snort:: this is worse than a big deal, because we have been training Remy to hunt pheasants and flush them for us. Everytime we have pheasants in the back yard, we send her after them. It's now one of the few scents that she will follow in the bush on her own too.
And right in front of us were more pheasants than Remy could ever imagine. I crossed my fingers and hoped that they would be long gone by the time we got to where they crossed the road, and for the most part they had. However, they went both ways. I watched the group part and most went one way, but a couple went the opposite way.
As soon as we got close Remy was on their trail. You could see her nose working overtime, and she was looking all around her. That's when she spotted a couple on the other side of the ditch from us. They were hightailing it out of there, and Remy wanted to be right after them. After another battle of epic porportions and a very sore wrist, we found ourselves walking again. Remy was still worked up though, she could not fathom why I hadn't let her run after the pheasants. It would have been great fun, she said. (yes she really did say this).
I was a spoil sport.

So that was our weird walk. The rest of the walk was uneventful. Thankfully. The whole thing was just a little weird. It reminded me of something I would have read in Mary Poppins, which I had just finished listening to.

No comments:

Post a Comment