Thursday, 18 October 2012

Sometimes I impress myself

So I randomly ran across this pin the other day and fell in love.

I decided to make one for my J for christmas. I wanted to just make a smallish one, a throw, since I have never taken on anything of this size before and, well, quilting fascinates and intimidates me.

I got some brown fabric and a lighter yellow patterned fabric and cut it out. I laid out the batting and pinned it all together. Than I got scared. So I just stared at it for a day. I looked up tutorials for easy quilts and got some ideas of what should happen when (Do I sew up the outside first and than do the "quilting" process?!?!)

I got up the nerve and drew my lines for the bark. I decided to get fancy and do opposite thread colours so the light thread would show through on top and brown on the bottom. Once I got my tension right I took my materials and got at her. I started with the middle line and sewed along my outline. Than I worked down one side, and the other. I had issues on one line (x 2), and had to rip the stitches out. It was a nightmare. But I did get it all together in the end.

I decided to do the heart right on the brown fabric, so using my machine I sewed the outline of the heart.

I still wasn't sure exactly how to do our initials. I was debating emroidering it (too time consuming), stitching it with the machine (too thin looking) or use fabric paint. I decided to cut out the letters and stitch them on with embroidery floss. It was quick and easier than embroidering. It also looks fantastic.











I totally regret staring at the fabric for a day now. As the only thing I have left to do is the binding. I could have had it done by now.

When I went to bed the other night and was avoiding thinking about the Shining. I figured I would add a paw print for Remy. Than my brain came to life. I decided that eventually I will add our kids names on here too. It will be our family tree.

So now I am super duper (ya I went with the duper) proud of it. I can't wait to give it to him. Why does Christmas have to be 2 months away?!?!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment