When they started talking about November Cakes I got hungry. I started to wonder if there really was such a devil as November Cakes and whether I was missing out on a sticky delicious treat. So I did what any rational person would do, and typed November Cakes into Pinterest.
I found lots of pictures of a sweet sticky bun and Maggie Stiefvaters recipe for November Cakes. Apparently she made them up and than she had to make them up since she wanted to see what they would taste like. Boy am I ever glad that Maggie Stiefvater is amazingly clever because not only is the recipe easy to follow and ends in super awesome goodness. But she also makes you laugh throughout the recipe. She is seriously one of those people who you would like to read anything by her, even her shopping list. Check it out, I promise its worth while.
So I made sure I had all the ingredients....except I forgot to buy milk. I don't drink it, and J is away, so I didn't have any in the fridge, except for my Unsweetened Almond Milk. Normally I don't substitute milk products, but I did this time. It may have changed the consistancy a little, since my buns didn't turn out swirly. Although that may have been my craperific rolling job as well.
Since Maggie Stiefvater did such an amazing job of writing the recipe, I will not duplicate it here. I gave you the link above. I will share some of my pictures of the adventure of making November Cakes so that your mouth starts to water and you run out to the store to buy the ingredients you don't have at home.
Dry ingredients in mixing bowl.
Wet ingredients in microwave to be heated up. Don't worry Maggie I didn't kill the yeast.
Of course I have a stand mixer, as recommended in the recipe. You really don't know what you are missing without one in your life. **Side note, if I ever find a place to ship fun coloured vinyl to Canada I will be pimping out my mixer.**
This is my first time playing with yeast. I was a little nervous, although I don't know why.
My crapperific rolling job.
See they should look rolled, mine look like blobs. Delicious blobs, but blobs.
You have no idea how much will power it took to not try one of these bad boys yet.
Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble, fire burn and cauldron bubble. Muahahahahah.
YUM!!!!
Enjoy!!
I've got to find this book AND try this recipe!
ReplyDeleteThe book is by Maggie Stiefvater and is wonderful. It was one of my favourite books that I read last year. Enjoy!!!
ReplyDelete