Monday, 18 March 2013

Car Seat Cover



I wanted to make a car seat cover for the babe, since he will be quite young during cough and cold season. Plus its crazy windy here on a good day, so a little extra protection would be great.

I found a bunch of tutorials online, but decided to just kind of wing it. I measured the approx length and width of the carrier ( My mom brought it up when she visited thankfully!). I cut two coordinating fabrics out that length and pinned them together.



I ended up rounding the corners using a plastic lid, just to make it look a little more finished.



I remembered to leave an opening for turning the material right side out.


I also wanted to add some bling to the outside, so I used a coordinating colour of edging and pinned it between the two fabrics.

Photo
I sewed all three pieces together, leaving the gap for turning.

Photo
I than took some measurements for the hanging straps. I want this to be kind of reversible. One material is darker than the other,so I figured it would be nice when I want him sleeping and the lighter colour for when we are outside in the sun. In order to do this I figured I would need to cut two slits in both fabrics and feed the straps through them. I would use snaps to attach the straps to the car seat.

Photo
I cut out the material for the straps and sewed them in half and left an opening on one end of each to turn them right side out.

Photo

Once they were turned I sewed around the edges, making it pretty and closing the open seam at the same time.

Photo



Photo


I than turned my main piece rightside out and cut my openings for the straps. I decided to edge them with my left over edging from the outside of the cover. They turned out okay, but not great.

Photo

At this point my machine decided to be a b1tch. So I put it all away and will finish up in a couple of days. So this is basically car seat cover part 1. Watch for Part 2 coming soon!













No comments:

Post a Comment