It wasn't until I read The Edge of Winter that I fell in love with her books. This book means the world to me. I remember laughing and crying and feeling so close to the characters. I felt so much for Mickey and who she was. She reminded me a lot of myself at that age. I remember finishing off the library copy I had borrowed in the truck on the way down to J's parents. It was March of 2010. It was the last time he let me read in the car in front of him because I was so engrossed in the book he felt completely ignored. Plus the crying and laughing and all the emotions that I felt were just so overwhelming.
So I saw an email from GR today saying Luanne liked a review of mine on GR. I didn't click on it, because I had GR open in another window. I clicked on the notifications and saw this. You know minus the hearts and The Edge of Winter wasn't the background, but you get the drift.

I just about flipped. Luanne liked my review of The Edge of Winter. Luanne as in Luanne Rice. The author. Who I have read almost everything she has ever written. That Luanne Rice. The one who can capture human emotion and family dynamics let alone sister dynamics unlike any other writer. That Luanne Rice.
So ya, I am totally fan-girling out here. I think I may have said OMG a whole bunch of times. I just had to share the happiness that I am feeling right now.
It's not the first time an author has liked my review, see the Also look here at the bottom of the picture. Misa Rush liked the review of her book Family Pieces which I also loved. But this is Luanne Rice. Her work has affected me in ways I can't explain since I first read her back in 2010. I have read all but 11 of her 31 books. And one of those isn't out until July of this year.
I have given most of her books 4 or 5 star ratings. I think about the characters and their circumstances now, 2-3 years after reading about them the first time. She usually makes me cry. Sometimes uncontrollably. She also makes me laugh. Sometimes uncontrollably. She makes me reflect on my own experiences, the care free and sometimes not so care free moments of childhood. She makes me think about my husband, and my family and yes my sisters. She often has 3 sisters in her books and coming from a family of 3 sisters this always makes me feel more connected with the characters.
This is why I love her books. There were only 2 books I didn't enjoy as much. They primarily dealt with infidelity. I couldn't get into those characters because of that reason. Maybe it felt too real as opposed to infidelity shown in other books that I did enjoy ::cough, Something Borrowed, cough:: However I still go back for more from her.
What did I write in my review you ask?!?! Well, I read the book before I started using GR. So on Nov 25 2010 I added a boatload of books to GR as it was my first day. So this is what my review said.
one of my all time fav books ever! must read for everyone!
Yup that is it. I feel horrible now and wish I had done a better review. I think I will be re-reading this book soon and writing a much better review than the one above. This book deserves so much better.
No comments:
Post a Comment