Saturday, 9 March 2013

Heartburn is no joke!

I remember seeing adds for Tums and Pepto etc as a kid and not really grasping what the big deal was. I was lucky and never had heartburn until last March when I was pregnant.
This summer the heartburn started up again and I ended up going to the dr because it was getting so bad. She put me on a prescription for Zantac which worked at the time.

A few short months later I found myself pregnant again and the heartburn returned with a vengenance. I took the zantac when absolutely necessary, but really don't like adding drugs/chemicals to my diet while pregnant.
I spoke with the dr about it at my last appt and she suggested sleeping slightly elevated. Eating 5-6 small meals a day, avoiding tomatoes, etc and not eating 3 hrs before bed. Check, check and check. I tried all these things and was still lugging around a bottle of Tums with me at all times because I would die without the little bit of relief they offered.

I saw a suggestion on the Bump of drinking Apple Cider Vinegar to help with the heartburn and thought it was worth a try since I was in so much pain.



It is pretty similar to what I drink for cold/sore throat so it isn't very hard to figure out.
Basically you boil your water. In your mug ( I always prefer a large mug), add 1 tbsp (or more depending on the size of your mug) of apple cider vinegar, a generous helping of honey (I am going to say whatever floats your boat on this one!) and a dash of cinnamon. Add the boiling water and mix together.

Photo

You can drink it hot or cold. I have found that having a drink before and after my meal makes a huge difference. I was actually able to eat some spaghetti and meat sauce the other day with very limited indigestion/heartburn/acid reflux afterwards. I am still following my drs other orders and maxing out the tums all day long, but this is an added bonus! Plus it kind of tastes like apple cider.

Apparently I am using the wrong apple cider vinegar, however this is all I was able to get where I live. A friend is supposed to pick me up a bottle of the Raw Apple Cider Vinegar today so I will give it a try and see how it goes.

Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment