Thursday, 23 May 2013

Don't I smell pretty?!?

So on Sunday afternoon I left Remy out on the porch, while I went downstairs to fill up her food container. It was around 4pm. Remy tends to spend all day outside if someone is home with her, and its never been an issue. Less than 5 minutes later I came back upstairs to feed her. I opened the door, noticing a large flock (15-20) of Sandhill Cranes in the field behind the house, about halfway back. I didn't get the door very far open when the smell hit me. SKUNK!!!!

Remy was at the door panting, with a giant smile on her face and smelly.

This is why I bought a skunk odor removing spray last spring. Because skunks spray when the stores are closed. Not just when they are closed, but when they won't be open at all the next day (because of the holiday). So I took control. While Remy ate her food and drank some water, I got out the spray and read the instructions.


It was simple. Pull back fur, and spray affected areas at skin. Message into skin and let dry naturally. If in nose, spray onto paper towel and dab insides of nose. Spray on sponge to apply around eyes.

So I donned my rubber gloves and sat Remy down for the task of de-odorizing her. She thought this was the greatest experience ever. Especially the whole message into her skin part. She was rolling over, tongue hanging out, and I could just hear her saying, "oh yeah, that's the spot!".

That was fun Mom, can we do it again!??!

We did this twice over the course of the night. By that point I couldn't smell the skunk on her all the time, just wafts of it every once in a while.

Here is what I think happened:
I left Remy on the porch. The flock of Sandhills flew into the field. Remy, being the curious lady she is, decided to investigate what these loud, large creatures were in her backyard (because she considers at least half of the field to be hers). So she went at a run (because why walk when you could run) into the field. The Hay is grown up just enough as to not be able to see little creepy crawlies in the field. Remy was unfortunate that day and ran into Pepe Le Pews cousin, who she probably thought was Mama Kitty from next door. Than she ran home to tell me all about her adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment