Sunday, 26 May 2013

Hopeless by Colleen Hoover


Hopeless (Hopeless, #1)
Paperback, 406 pages
Published May 7th 2013 by Atria Books (first published December 17th 2012)
ISBN 147674355X

Genre: YA
New or Re-read: New
Series? Book 1...apparently
Where I heard about it: The NBC ladies have been talking about this one a lot
Why I read it: I think it was on sale on Kindle one day and with all the hype I picked it up
Setting/Time Frame: Present, Texas
*****************Spoilers: I will try not to*********




I am in love with this story. I picked it up on a kindle sale because the ladies of NBC have been gushing so much about it. I have been meaning to read it for months, but haven’t gotten around to it. I didn’t have a clue when I started it, what genre it was, what it was about or anything. Other than I would fall deeply into this book and it would possibly change me.

Hopeless is a YA book. About a girl named Sky. She was homeschooled by her adopted mother who doesn’t believe in technology. So no tv, cellphones, internet. Sky likes her life. However in order to look good on her college applications, she goes to public high school for her senior year. Her BFF, who lives next door was supposed to guide her through her first and only year of HS, but got accepted to a six month student exchange in Italy. So Sky is on her own.

On the first day she meets Holder. For the first time in her life, she feels all the feels. She has had a boyfriend before, and made out with a few boys, but it doesn’t make her feel anything. It makes her numb, which sometimes, is just what she wants. So she keeps doing it.  Holder is different though. They both have reputations for different things, once they get past those reputations and see each other for who they really are, they realise that they have a bond like no others.

Approx 60% into the book, Holder broke my heart. It was during a flashback and everything came together as the reader. I had some suspicions before, but that was the aha! moment. Hopeless.

Than he broke it again only a few minutes later. Which is why I am writing this all down now. I need to get back into this book right now. I need to. However I needed to identify the moment this book become so much more than a story about a girl and a boy.

….

Breathe in, breathe out. Deep breathes. 85% into the book. It’s all I can do is breathe in and breathe out. I really, really wish I wasn’t reading this at work. Luckily pregnancy does funny things to hormones and I am able to not lose it completely.  This book…THIS BOOK…

….

“Whatever he goes through, I feel. Whatever I go through, he feels. It’s what happens when two people become one: they no longer only share love. They also share all of the pain, heartache, sorrow and grief.”
 
“The sky is always beautiful.Even when it's dark or rainy or cloudy,it's still beautiful to look at....it'll be there no matter what...and I know it'll always be beautiful.” 
 
“My lack of access to the real world has been replaced completely by books, and it can’t be healthy to live in a land of happily ever afters.” 
 
“I need a chapter break.” 
 
So I don't normally review books as I go. However I really like how this one turned out, and in the interest of not giving up too much information I am going to leave this review as it is.
I also want to say that I didn't realise it was a series when I picked it up. Darn you Colleen Hoover!! So once you read this one, look for Losing Hope, Holden's story coming out in July!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment