Etiquette and Espionage by Gail Carriger

Hardcover, 307 pages
Published February 5th 2013 by Little, Brown Books for Young
Genre: YA/ Steampunk/ PNRNew or Re-read: New
Series? Book 1
Where I heard about it: I may or may not stalk Gail Carriger on GR.
Why I read it: I loved the other books by Gail Carriger and had to give this one a chance
Setting/Time Frame: 1850s England
*****************Spoilers: I will try not to*********
This first book in a new series by Gail Carriger
was well worth the wait. Taking place in the same time frame as the Alexia
Terraboti series, just a few years earlier, it was like entering into a
familiar place you hadn’t visited in a while.
Plus don't you just love the cover!?!? I am a sucker for a pretty cover!
Steampunk is not something that I thought would
be of interest to me, however I was wrong. Steampunk mixed with Paranormal,
well, anything is my cup up of tea.
I am going to keep this review short and sweet because there is just too much going on and I don't want to spoil anything.
Set in the 1850’s this book was a good mixture
of the world we learned to love in the original series mixed with a touch of
Harry Potter…just on a Dirigible instead of a magic’d castle. S is being sent
to finishing school. Or so she is told by her mother. A place that will refine
her and make her into the lady that she is expected to become. However this is
unlike any finishing school her mother could have ever dreamt of. Yes it is
technically a finishing school. However it is a floating finishing school for
spys.
I loved all of the sudden appearances of
characters that we will meet in a few years down the road in the AT series. I
couldn’t have been more surprised to see them in this novel. However it was one
of those good surprises.
No comments:
Post a Comment