Tuesday, 5 February 2013

Ireland

Ireland by Frank Delaney
Ireland

Paperback, 651 pages
Published February 28th 2006 by Avon Books (first published 2005)
ISBN  0060563494
Genre: Historical Fiction
New or Re-read: NEW

Series: Nope
Where I heard about it:GR search on books about Ireland
Why I read it: I needed to read a book that took place in Ireland or was written by an Irish Author for WBC 13 and when I GR searched, this one came up.
Setting/Time Frame: Ireland, 1950s-1960s
Spoilers: Probably, but nothing major.



Prior to reading this book, I saw in a review that it was written to be listened to. I can not agree with this statement more. This story is one about a storyteller. I can't imagine reading this book and getting as much out of it as I did by listening to it.

This book involved many of the qualities that I adore in books. It has a main story line, but its also about the history of Ireland, as told by its myths,tales...its stories. I have always loved myths and tales from all kinds of cultures. So a book about that just makes my day.
On top of that it is also a coming of age story. We meet Rowan as just a little boy and see him grow into a respectable man.

His journey is an amazing one. I have always loved people who are passionate about something. I don't care what that something is...as long as it doesn't cause harm to me or anyone else really. As long as they are passionate. In this case Rowan is passionate about the storyteller he met as a child. This meeting completely changed or maybe instilled in Rowan's life plan.

I don't want to say too much here. Other than this is an amazing story. If you love myths and tales or are interested in the history of Ireland, than I can highly recommend this book.












No comments:

Post a Comment