Most of the auction sales we have been to lately have been okay, lots of tools, and crap that should be thrown away. J tends to pay a bit much for what he wants IMO, but he enjoys it, and we never spend too much money.
I saw a notice for an auction sale in the paper a few weeks ago, and mentioned it to him. We had missed the other ones so far this year because we were away. So we were both looking forward to this one, especially for me, since it was a girl auction sale. It had billed for glasswear, tea cups, china cabinets, collectibles, and Norman Rockwell Plates.
I love some of the Norman Rockwell Plates that I have seen and there is a couple in particular that I really wanted to get.

Waiting on The Shore is my absolute favourite. Don't ask me why, it just appeals to me. So I was really hoping for it.
I also really like Dreaming in the Attic and Waiting for the Dance

So I was really excited to see what plates they had at the auction. I came home from work the day of the auction with a game plan and a wallet full of cash. J had been home most of the day, and I said, "So I figured that we would hit up the Redneck grill for some bacon cheeseburgers and dill pickle spears before heading out."
J, " Head out where?"
Me, " The Auction...."
J, "oh?! Was that tonight!!?? I invited Marcel over for a drink around 7pm."
me, "oh. Well I am going anyways."
So it was decided that dinner plans would remain the same. I swear he puts something in those fried dill pickle spears that makes you addicted to them. Than we went our seperate ways.
I drove out and found a decent parking spot so I wouldn't get hemmed in. Got my number and went to find the plates to see what she had. There were 8 in total, with one set of duplicates. I was sad to find the one's I really like not there, but I did see a couple I liked, so I set my price in my mind and waited for the auction to begin.
Norm the auctioneer was on my side, as he started near the plates. They were only a few items from the beginning. I did bid on one item during that time, it was a older sewing box on legs, that opened up and had a bunch of stuff in it. The top would need to be refinished, but the rest looked good. So I bid up to $35, but I wasn't the only interested party. I think they got it for $45 or $50.
Than it came to the plates. Norm announced they would be sold individually, opened one plate up and showed it off for everyone to see. It wasn't one I wanted, so I didn't bid, and only one person did. So he got it for$2. Than he said to Norm, I will be the whole lot of them for $2 a piece. Norm said, "Okay".
That's when I spoke up.
"There is more people here who may be interested in the other plates!"
Norm, "Oh? There is?!?"
Me,"I for one, and I am sure there is others."
So Norm decided to sell them all individually as previously decided. Luckily the next plate up was one I wanted, and I got it for $7.50. A Young Girls dream
A couple of other plates went by, some for$4 some for $10. Already within 3 plates he made more than he would have at $2/plate.
Than the other that I liked came up, and I got it for $4. A Family's Measure.
After that I stayed for a little while to see what else there was, but nothing interested me, so I paid my bill and headed home.
On my way to the car, a few people stopped me and thanked me for standing up to Norm, a couple of others commented on the good deals I got.
Both plates came in the original packaging with the certificates of authenticity.
I don't have anywhere to put them right now, but one day I will get the others that I want, and a proper place to display them. Until than, they will live under my spare bed with all my other goodies.
No comments:
Post a Comment