Monday, 9 July 2012

Heat Rash, shaving and a invisible skunk

The morning we left the cottage, we planned to keep Remy out of the lake so she wouldn't be wet for the ride home. We put her collar on her first thing, and told her not to go in the lake. EPIC FAIL!!!! She was good and would stop when we told her to, but first chance she got with our backs all turned, all we heard was a big ::SPLASH!:: as she jumped off the dock. It was super hot out, so we let her be and proceeded to prevent her from swimming again.
She saw us packing up the truck and was hanging around it. We went back to the cabin for something, and I run over to the truck to grab something for my Mom and found her sitting on her seat in the back of the truck. She has never jumped into the truck before so I was a little surprised to see her up there, but she must have decided that it was time to hit the road and she wouldn't be left behind. So eventually we made our good byes and headed North!
She was still pretty damp when we left, but she sleeps on a towel in the truck, so we just left her be, figuring she would be cooler this way. Since I was outvoted between J and Remy, we had the a/c on full blast the whole way home.

Two days later J noticed she had a rash on her back, and took her into the vet. He ended up shaving a spot on her back and diagnosed a heat rash, gave her antibiotics, and cream and told J to keep her dry for the next two week.  I guess the long, damp truck ride, with her collar on caused the rash. I felt horrible for her!!


But she is taking it in stride!!


Once it dries up we will have to get some sunscreen to put on her until her hair grows back. Until then we have to keep her out of the sun as much as possible. The last thing she needs now is a sunburn.


Okay, maybe that's the second last thing.
Last night we were gardening, and by we, I mean I was gardening and Remy was destroying my water bottle at the end of the row  I was working on. All of the sudden there was Skunk Smell everywhere. I dropped my stuff, grabbed her and ran to the house without looking back!! I did look around for the offending guy, but didn't see him anywhere. I quickly took our clothes off the line and left Remy in the house to go back and put away my gardening stuff.  The smell wasn't as bad now, but you could still smell it.

When I got back in the house, I could really smell it. Somehow, while minding her own business chewing her bottle, she got skunk smell on her nose and forehead. I have no idea how this happened. This of course happened on a Saturday at 8:30pm. The least convenient time EVER. All our stores close around 5 on weekends and DON'T OPEN on Sundays. So we don't have ANY skunk cleaner for her. Plus we can't get her wet, so even if we did have some, we can't bathe her because of the rash.
Luckily the smell isn't too strong, you can only get a whiff of it if you smell her head and even then it isn't too horrible.
So this morning she was not welcomed into the bed for morning snuggles, and I had to leave her in her crate while I got ready for work. I couldn't risk her jumping into bed with J. She was not a happy camper. Lets just hope it dissipates quickly today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment