Tuesday, 6 November 2012

The Colour Purple by Alice Walker

The Colour Purple by Alice Walker
 
 
The Color Purple
 
 
Mass Market Paperback, 295 pages
Published June 1st 1985 by Pocket Books (first published 1982)
ISBN   0671617028 (ISBN13: 9780671617028)
Genre: Historical Fiction
New or Re-read: NEW
Series: Nope.
Where I heard about it: Who hasn't heard of the movie, but The Heroine's Bookshelf and FBC 12 had me reading this one.
Why I read it: I needed to read a book off someone else's TBR that wasn't on my own. I found it on a friends. Than I listened to The Heroine's Bookshelf and it was the subject of one of the essays.
Setting/Time Frame:Georgia, USA.
Spoilers: Probably, it may be hard to write about without them, be warned.
 
 
 
****4 STARS!!!!****
 
Wow!! I have never seen the movie and didn't know a whole lot about this story prior to starting it.
I was sucked in immediately. I loved everything about it.
Celie was really inspirational for overcoming, well, everything in her life to finally be a happy person later in life. I just can't imagine going through everything she went through. From the sounds of the other characters stories, her story really wasn't uncommon (according to the book).
 
I happen to love books written as letters, emails, diary entries. I don't know why, but they always draw me in. That is one of the things that I really loved in this book. Her letters to God, and later to Nettie and the letters she got back. I think it maybe because people tend not to hold back when they write stuff like that. You can feel their emotions more.
 
Alice Walker made me feel like I was a spectator to the story. She made me feel like I was sitting there watching everything happen.
 
This book was just such an amazing experience. A must read in my opinion for every woman. I can completely understand why it got so many awards and now I feel like I must watch the movie.
 
 
 
Quotes that I loved.
 
“I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don't notice it.' 'What it do when it pissed off?' I ast. 'Oh, it make something else. People think pleasing God is all God care about. But any fool living in the world can see it always trying to please us back.' 'Yeah?' I say. 'Yeah,' she say. 'It always making little surprises and springing them on us when us least expect.' 'You mean it want to be loved, just like the bible say.' 'Yes, Celie,' she say. 'Everything want to be loved.” 
“Time moves slowly, but passes quickly.” 
“But it ain't easy, trying to do without God even if you know he ain't there, trying to do without him is a strain” 
 
“Us sing and dance, make faces and give flower bouquets, trying to be loved. You ever notice that trees do everything to get attention we do, except walk?” 
 
“...have you ever found God in church? I never did. I just found a bunch of folks hoping for him to show. Any God I ever felt in church I brought in with me. And I think all the other folks did too. They come to church to share God, not find God.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment