
Hardcover, 394 pages
Published February 2nd 2010 by St. Martin's Press
more details...
ISBN 0312364121 (ISBN13: 9780312364120)
Genre:Historical Fictin, Family Saga, Women's Fiction
New or Re-read: NEW
Series: Nope.
Where I heard about it: I have seen lots of buzz about this book on NBC and GR.
Why I read it: I got a deal on Audible, so I bought it.
Setting/Time Frame: Present/ 1940's Leningrad, Russia
Spoilers: Probably, but nothing major.
Narator:
Length of Audiobook:
***3.5 Stars***
I was having a lot of trouble getting into this book. The first half was interesting, but a lot of different information and storylines, since while being mother and daughters, all three really didn't know each other very well.
The second half of the book was when it all came together and it did it kind of suddenly.
The constant back and forth between present time and 1940's Leningrad, Russia was interesting. It brought a different feel to the story that I really enjoyed. Those parts reminded me a lot of the book The Bronze Horseman, which takes also takes place during that time. The similarities between these two "families" and what they went through was astounding. It just goes to show what a horrific time this was for Russian people and that no one really had a chance to make it out okay after everything that happened there.
While reading parts of the times in Russia, I got The Cranberries song Zombie stuck in my head:
I loved the trip the girls took their mother on. It was a great way to wrap up the story. I was not expecting that ending, however I did find it beautiful. It completly wrecked me...in a good way.
I really don't want to give too much away. But WOW. The whole last bit seriously broke my heart. Here I am sitting at work trying to type up the monthly minutes and I am fighting back tears. I kept having to turn my Ipod off in order to collect myself before moving on.
This was a wonderful story, and well worth the first part to get to the second part. I am really looking forward to reading more by Kristin Hannah in the future.
Why I read it: I got a deal on Audible, so I bought it.
Setting/Time Frame: Present/ 1940's Leningrad, Russia
Spoilers: Probably, but nothing major.
Narator:
Length of Audiobook:
***3.5 Stars***
I was having a lot of trouble getting into this book. The first half was interesting, but a lot of different information and storylines, since while being mother and daughters, all three really didn't know each other very well.
The second half of the book was when it all came together and it did it kind of suddenly.
The constant back and forth between present time and 1940's Leningrad, Russia was interesting. It brought a different feel to the story that I really enjoyed. Those parts reminded me a lot of the book The Bronze Horseman, which takes also takes place during that time. The similarities between these two "families" and what they went through was astounding. It just goes to show what a horrific time this was for Russian people and that no one really had a chance to make it out okay after everything that happened there.
While reading parts of the times in Russia, I got The Cranberries song Zombie stuck in my head:
Another head hangs lowly,
Child is slowly taken.
And the violence caused such silence,
Who are we mistaken?
But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...
In your head, in your head,
Zombie, zombie, zombie,
Hey, hey, hey. What's in your head,
In your head,
Zombie, zombie, zombie?
Hey, hey, hey, hey, oh, dou, dou, dou, dou, dou...
Another mother's breakin',
Heart is taking over.
When the vi'lence causes silence,
We must be mistaken.
It's the same old theme since nineteen-sixteen.
In your head, in your head they're still fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are dying...
In your head, in your head,
Zombie, zombie, zombie,
Hey, hey, hey. What's in your head,
In your head,
Zombie, zombie, zombie?
Hey, hey, hey, hey, oh, oh, oh,
Oh, oh, oh, oh, hey, oh, ya, ya-a...
Child is slowly taken.
And the violence caused such silence,
Who are we mistaken?
But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...
In your head, in your head,
Zombie, zombie, zombie,
Hey, hey, hey. What's in your head,
In your head,
Zombie, zombie, zombie?
Hey, hey, hey, hey, oh, dou, dou, dou, dou, dou...
Another mother's breakin',
Heart is taking over.
When the vi'lence causes silence,
We must be mistaken.
It's the same old theme since nineteen-sixteen.
In your head, in your head they're still fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are dying...
In your head, in your head,
Zombie, zombie, zombie,
Hey, hey, hey. What's in your head,
In your head,
Zombie, zombie, zombie?
Hey, hey, hey, hey, oh, oh, oh,
Oh, oh, oh, oh, hey, oh, ya, ya-a...
This song eerily describes this story, or at least Anya's story. It breaks my heart to think about it. I am going to have to listen to it on the way home from work tonight.
I loved the trip the girls took their mother on. It was a great way to wrap up the story. I was not expecting that ending, however I did find it beautiful. It completly wrecked me...in a good way.
I really don't want to give too much away. But WOW. The whole last bit seriously broke my heart. Here I am sitting at work trying to type up the monthly minutes and I am fighting back tears. I kept having to turn my Ipod off in order to collect myself before moving on.
This was a wonderful story, and well worth the first part to get to the second part. I am really looking forward to reading more by Kristin Hannah in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment